6 Tips: How to Sharpen your Creative Instincts
1. Whatever you do, even if it is a simple, mundane act, do it with a conscious mind. Try out new ways to do your things. That would improve your method and performance and you’d enjoy your work..
2. Be open-minded. Observe other (creative) people doing similar things. Interact and exchange ideas with them. Keep your mind open to new ideas and skills. That would sharpen your creative instincts and give you a cutting edge.
3. Do not confine yourself to your comfort zone. Step out of that and try out new ways to do your things.
4. Pursue and practice some creative art, like – creative writing, painting, photography etc. That is the best exercise for sharpening creativity. An artist gradually develops very strong imagination and aesthetic sense. He/She is an experimenter and innovator who is always after creating something new out of the stuff at hand.
5. Do not be scared of criticism or ridicule from others. Take them in your stride and go ahead with where your instinct guides. However, if it comes from a positive, knowledgeable, and well meaning person, try to learn from that.
6. Remember, creative minds are different from the mechanical. They sometimes need to unwind. Give your mind relaxation and peace after a hectic job/day/week. A relaxed mind is more fertile to produce creative thoughts and actions.
* * * * * *
# Ashok Misra